About Community Event Sponsorships
Review Process (Summary)
Sponsorships are university-based financial or in-kind support of external non-profit organizations or events that:
- Align with the mission of the university and those of its colleges or units;
- Are relevant across the university;
- Enhance the quality of life and meaningful partnerships in the local community; and
- Raise the profile of the university within the community.
As a flagship land-grant university, Ohio State understands its responsibility to support the community and promote the common good. University sponsorships covey support for external non-profit organizations and events and promote development of meaningful partnerships with the community. Consolidation of community event sponsorships creates a more strategic approach that highlights which events should be sponsored by the University.
- Sponsorships should support events that align with the university's core goals of teaching and learning; research and innovation; outreach and engagement; and resource stewardship.
- At its discretion, any college or unit may support a sponsorship of $10,000 or less, though such sponsorships must still be submitted through the sponsorship portal (see "Procedures" below).
- Sponsorship requests exceeding $10,000 (for individual units or with multiple units) but less than $20,000, are referred to the Sponsorships Committee and Conveners for review.
Committee members include representatives from: the Offices of Academic Affairs; Advancement; Business and Finance; Diversity and Inclusion; the President (OTP); and Student Life; the Colleges of Arts and Sciences; Engineering; Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences; and Athletics; the Wexner Center for the Arts and the Wexner Medical Center.
Conveners include senior representatives from Advancement; the Office of Outreach and Engagement, the office of the President and the Wexner Medical Center.
The Sponsorships Committee and Conveners serve in an advisory capacity, make recommendations and provide feedback to ensure each sponsorship opportunity achieves a maximum effect.
- Sponsorship Requests exceeding $20,000 (for individual colleges/units or combined) are reviewed by the Sponsorships Committee and Conveners and then must be approved by the President's Cabinet.
- Each college and unit designates an individual who serves as the primary point of contact for sponsorships. These contacts, on behalf of their respective college or unit, submit requests for community event sponsorships through the university's sponsorship portal.
These requests must be submitted not less than 28 days before the event.
- Sponsorships less than or equal to $10,000 will be reviewed and accepted by the university's sponsorship coordinator within 24-48 hours after submission.
- Sponsorship requests exceeding $10,000, but less than $20,000, will be referred for review. These requests require the sponsorship coordinator to prepare a report for review by both the Sponsorship Committee and Conveners.
These requests be submitted not less than 35 days before the event to provide for the appropriate review process to occur. Turn around for these requests will take from 5-7 days once the request is submitted.
- Sponsorship requests exceeding $20,000, will be referred for review to the Sponsorships Committee and Conveners. Once the Conveners complete their review, they will refer these requests to the President's Cabinet for review and approval. These requests require the sponsorship coordinator to prepare reports for review by both the Sponsorship Committee and Conveners and an additional summary for the Cabinet.
These requests not less than 45 days before the event to provide for the appropriate review process to occur and leave time for the sponsorships coordinator to schedule time on an upcoming President's Cabinet agenda. Turn around for these requests will take from 10-14 days once the request is submitted.
- In all instances, colleges and units will receive prompt feedback once requests have been reviewed at the requisite level.
- For more information contact University Sponsorships Coordinator Mark McCann at email@example.com.
- For more information about the sponsorships review process, please refer to the following table