About Community Event Sponsorships
Definition of Sponsorships - "Sponsorships" means financial or in-kind support provided to external events that:
- are aligned with the University's mission and goals and with those of its units;
- are generally relevant across the University;
- enhance the quality of life in the local community; and
- increase awareness about Ohio State and its units and benefit their reputation.
The Ohio State University recognizes its responsibility to support community endeavors that promote the common good. Sponsorship by the University and/or any of its units signals Ohio State's support for a non-profit organization or non-profit event that promotes partnerships with the citizens and institutions of Ohio, the nation, and the world to engage our communities in the exciting work of The Ohio State University. By bringing a One University perspective to Ohio State's sponsorship activities, it is hoped that this more strategic approach will, over time, highlight which events—regardless of dollar amounts—should be sponsored by the University.
- A majority of sponsorship support must be directed to events supporting the University's core goals: teaching and learning; research and innovation; and outreach and engagement.
- A request for any sponsorship whose total equals or exceeds $20,000 requires approval by the President's Cabinet.
- Requests for sponsorships whose total exceeds $10,000 will be assessed by a Sponsorships Committee, convened by the Offices of Academic Affairs, Advancement, Outreach and Engagement (O&E), the President (OTP), and the Wexner Medical Center, and consisting of representatives from Academic Affairs; Advancement; Arts and Sciences; Athletics; Business and Finance; Comprehensive Cancer Center; Diversity and Inclusion; Engineering; Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences; Government Affairs; Outreach and Engagement; Student Life; Trademark and Licensing; and the Wexner Center for the Arts.
- At its discretion, a unit may support a sponsorship of $10,000 or less, though such sponsorships must still be submitted to the e-portal (see "Procedures" below). If multiple units participate in a single sponsorship such that the combined total of their support exceeds $10,000, that sponsorship will be referred to the Sponsorships Committee.
Through their designated requesters, units will submit requests for event sponsorships of any amount through the e-portal (please see http://outreach.osu.edu/sponsorships/internalstart.html) not less than 28 days before the sponsorship event and—for sponsorships exceeding $10,000—prior to making any commitments.
Sponsorship requests that exceed a combined commitment of $10,000 will be reviewed by the Sponsorships Committee. Sponsorships exceeding $10,000 will initiate a request for additional event details, such as number of tables/seats to be purchased; branding strategy (i.e., the University’s name and logo and/or individual unit names and logos); list of participants; anticipated impacts of the sponsorship event; and plans for follow-up to ensure events are leveraged for the good of Ohio State and our relationships with external stakeholders.
For events whose sponsorship equals or exceeds $20,000, the Conveners will refer their findings to President’s Cabinet for further review and approval.
Units will receive prompt feed-back once requests have been reviewed.